Pages

Monday 9 March 2015

Dear William

To my gorgeous Godson

It's been nearly 2 months since you came into our lives and I can tell you something, I have never seen your parents happier! Over the past 18 years I've seen them love, I've seen them fight, I've seen them with endless smiles on their wedding day and I've seen them go through one of the toughest years of their lives last year, but nothing compares to their faces when they look at you.

Your mom has been my best friend since we were 9. That's 26 years of solid friendship that I am so thankful for. Those years have seen us go through a huge amount, most of it apart from each other because of geography, but when we speak to each other, it's as if only a few hours have gone by since we last spoke. One of the many things I love about your mom is that when we laugh, we do it properly - until our bellies hurt and we have tears pouring down our cheeks! And one of the best things about your dad is how much he loves your mom. That has never wavered from the first day he came into her life and is so evident in everything he does.

So I want you to know that you have been chosen by 2 of the best people I know and buddy, that's the best start I could ever have hoped for you.

I was absolutely honoured when your mom asked me to be your Godmother. You'll come to know as you grow older that everyone has their own belief systems and whilst I won't profess to being a Godmother in the true sense of the word, I can guarantee that not a day will go by that I don't love you. My job is to support your parents, support you and to help guide you through life. It's not always easy, but I aim to help make it the most fun, valuable and treasured life imaginable for you! You are one in a million, my little boy, your parents waited a long time for you and they are doing an amazing job! In the few weeks that they've had you, I have seen your little personality grow in leaps and bounds... you are a truly happy little being (with eyes that are capable of melting hearts!). Add to that the amazing family they both have and you are one lucky little chap.

There is plenty of time in your life for me to tell you stories about your parents, funny ones that will give you belly laughs and will no doubt some day embarrass you completely, but for now, I want you to know that even though I am not with you every day, I am thinking about you. I am watching you grow and loving every photo, video and anecdote that your mom sends me. I know when you got your first tooth and I am expecting any day now to know that you've taken your first step or said your first word. There are so many 'firsts' that I am so excited for your parents to experience with you.

My promise to you is that I will always provide a support system, be a shoulder for you to lean on, give you guidance when you need it and a steer on the right path. I promise to always pack the fun along with the life lessons and mostly, I promise that you will always have tons and tons of love. I also promise one day to explain to you why I call you my little Squirt - although I may keep that nugget for your 18th birthday!

You have come into my life just when I needed a ray of sunshine and you've certainly provided it in copious amounts with that ever-present cheeky, dimpled grin.

Sending you all my love across the miles, little buddy!

Love Aunty Lins xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment